What is posture?
What is good posture?
Good posture involves training your body to stand, walk, sit and lie in positions where the least strain is placed on supporting muscles and ligaments during movement or weight-bearing activities.
Maintaining good posture involves training your body to move and function where the least strain is placed on the body. Good posture improves the physiologic function of your body, while improving your appearance.
What is required for good posture?
- adequate muscle flexibility
- adequate muscle strength
- normal joint motion in the spine and other body regions
- adequate core muscle control
- efficient postural muscles that are balanced on both sides of the spine.
- you must recognize your postural habits at home and in the workplace and work to correct them, if necessary.
- self confidence, positive mindset, good self awareness (mental/emotional factors)
- pain free movement
(Modified from american posture institute)