Top 5 tips for having a great sleepOptiStart Chiropractic
1. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday.
Research shows that people who have a regular sleep pattern have better quality sleep.
2. Create a sleep routine for the hour leading up to bed time
- Limit screen time and technology in the hour before sleep
- Dim the lights in the room you’re in
- participate in relaxing activities like a warm shower or bath, meditation, stretching or reading
3. Create a great sleep environment
- Setting up a great sleep environment will improve your sleep and help you wake up feeling rested.
- Use good blinds and curtains to block out the light
- Invest in a good pillow and mattress
- Minimise noise
4. Get enough sunlight in the day
Best thing we can do to get good sleep, is get as much sunlight as we can in the day time. This all starts with getting sunlight as soon as we wake up. The exposure to sunlight ignites our hormones to start many processes in our body. This includes appetite, controlling our digestion, our immune system, blood pressure, fat utilization and mental energy.
Most importantly it brings on the production of serotonin. Serotonin is the main regulator of our internal clock, as well as bringing upon feelings of happiness and wellbeing.
5. Get to know your optimal sleep cycle
If you are waking up tired even though you have slept a good number of hours, it may be that you’re waking during a sleep cycle. Our sleep cycles last about 90 minutes so you should work out your alarm time from that. For example if you aim to be asleep by 10pm your alarm times will be 5:30am for 5 cycles, 7am for 6 cycles and so forth.