Our amazing bodies – digestion, absorption, and constipation.OptiStart Chiropractic
- Without thinking about it, our body creates salvia to begins the digestion process
- Our stomach creates acid to digest food particles.
- Bile is produced in the liver and secreted into small intestine to assist with fat digestion.
- Fecal bulk in the colon causes mass peristaltic movements.
- When the rectum is filled with feces, afferent messages to the spinal cord at the 2-3-4th sacral region, then leads to motor impulses and relation of the external anal sphincter.
When things go wrong (constipation)
· Defective rectal filing, leads to colonic stasis, and excessive drying of stool.
· Whole process can then become self perpetuating, and cycle continues,
· Distention of rectum lessens sensitivity of defecation reflex and effectiveness of peristalsis.
· Distention of the proximal bowel then follows, which increases intraluminal pressure, decreasing blood flow, leading to deteriation of the mucosal barrier.
· Bacteria can then proliferate.
· Take a thorough history and complete a thorough examination, including the whole nervous system and abdominal exam.
· Rule out “medical pathology.”
· Find the level of nerve intereference. This is often the sacrum, as the nerves to the bowel pass through here.
· Correct the nerve interference.
· Give specific advice around other aspects of management
· Refer for advice around nutrition. For example, Lorraine Pratley – Natural Medicine practitioner.